Sometimes unexpected changes lead to wonderful things, like these Baked Vegetable Egg Rolls.
Who would believe that this morning my amazing sixteen year old daughter would remind me, through some rather interesting conversation that I had to provide 2 dozen cookies for a bake sale this afternoon. I had gotten my dates confused and thought it was for tomorrow. I, mark your calendars, was wrong.
It is a good thing that I had written today on the calendar as a planning day for work. It turned into a planning and baking day.
I whipped out the cookies, and decided that I needed to finish some of the cooking projects that I had been putting off.
So, the banana cake that I had been promising daughter number four got made. Boy, did it make the house smell great! The hubs was quite sure he was going to sniff all of the flavor out of the cake. Oh, and cream cheese icing for the top was not overly sweet or thick! Mmmmm…we all really liked it. Now, if there was one downside to it, the cake was pretty dense. (oh, and one of the kittens said she is a fan of cream cheese icing)
As yesterday was Chinese New Year and the hubs was so into making pasta, he decided to try his hand at homemade egg roll wrappers. My part was to make the filling. Not being a huge fan of deep frying foods, I found a recipe for baked egg rolls.
The filling was phenomenal! The wrappers were a bit trickier (stickier) than the pastas we had made. They are definitely something we will work on, but it was a great first attempt! I really enjoyed them.
Here are the recipes for the cake and egg rolls. If I would have had the vegan egg substitute and cream cheese, the cake would have been vegan. As it is, it’s a lower fat version. The cake is dairy free so if you omit the frosting you can serve it to your non-dairy friends and family!
Baked Vegetable Egg Rolls
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups of savoy cabbage (chopped)
- 2 cups of shredded carrots
- 2 cups of bean sprouts
- 1 can of water chestnuts (chopped)
- 2 tbsp green onions (sliced)
- 1 tsp fresh ginger (grated)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 1/4 cup water
- 14 egg roll wraps
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot add the cabbage, sprouts, carrots, chestnuts and ginger to the pan and cook, stirring frequently for 4-5 minutes, until the vegetables just begin to wilt but still remain a little bit crisp. Mix the corn starch with the water and mix thoroughly. Add the corn starch mixture and soy sauce to the pan along with the green onions. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Place two tablespoons of the cooled mixture on the center of the egg roll wrap. Fold the bottom up over the filling. Next, fold the two sides over, making it look like an envelope, then roll it up like a burrito.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place the rolled up egg rolls on a baking sheet. Once you have rolled them all, spray the top of each egg roll with cooking spray.
- Place in the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes then turn them over. Bake for an additional 5-7 minutes or until crispy and golden brown. Serve with your choice of dipping sauces.
Low-fat Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1/3 cup light vanilla soy milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 medium-sized ripe bananas (mashed)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup light cream cheese
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray inside of 9-inch cake round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Place brown sugar, egg in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until fluffy. Add oil, milk, mashed banana and vanilla extract and mix until well blended. Gradually mix in flour mixture until just moist. Pour batter into cake pan and bake for 30 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. When cooled, invert the cake onto a cake plate.
- For the frosting, place powdered sugar, cream cheese and vanilla in a medium bowl and mix with an electric mixer until smooth. Spread frosting on cooled cake.
恭 喜 发 财