After work last night, I was in the mood for something just a little different for dinner. I picked up some red pepper chicken sausage, some dry orecchiette pasta and some fresh veggies. Sausage and Peppers would be a great easy dinner.
I sliced the chicken sausage and julienned some pepper strips, and sautéed them in a pan, while I cooked my pasta.
Meanwhile, I had the hubs clean some fresh asparagus, which I steamed in the microwave with a small amount of water. Truly the easiest way to steam asparagus is in the microwave.
When the pasta was done, I drained it and added it to my skillet of sausage and peppers. When it was heated through I slid it into a serving bowl, shredded some parmagiano over the top and it was ready to serve. In addition to the asparagus I served some fresh green grapes with my sausage and peppers supper. The main course was well received by the hubs, not so much by the kids. They thought the sausage was a little too spicy.
I still thought it was a really quick and easy dinner, and a little bit of a variety from our norm. I used a store brand of chicken sausage and orecchiette pasta. You may like another type of sausage or pasta.
I will most likely make it again, with fewer peppers and a less spicy chicken sausage.
I’ll be sure to let you know how it turns out!
Sausage and Peppers
- 12 oz package of Italian-style chicken sausage (sliced)
- 1 red bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 yellow bell pepper (sliced)
- 1 yellow onion (sliced)
- 1 16 oz package orecchiette pasta (cooked)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a skillet over medium heat brown the sausage on all sides. Add the sliced pepper and onion to the skillet and sauté until peppers are soft and onion is translucent.
- Reduce heat and cover with lid. Cook for 15 minutes or until sausage is cooked through.
- Remove lid and add pasta to skillet. Toss lightly to combine ingredients. Cook just until pasta is heated.
- Transfer from skillet into a serving bowl and top with Parmesan cheese.
- Toss to combine and serve.