April is National Grilled Cheese Sandwich month. One of my brothers told me about a Grilled Cheese Sandwich contest that is held every April. I sat down with the Hubs and brainstormed what we thought would be an awesomely amazing grilled cheese sandwich. We tossed around several ideas. I decided to try this one first, and we decided this would be our “entry” sandwich. It was simply unbelievable!
Well, today I noticed a similar sandwich on the contest site. Not the same, but similar. I weighed in my head whether to enter the sandwich recipe into the contest or post it to my blog (I can not publish it if I enter it). You can see my decision.
This sandwich it just too awesome to give the rights to someone else.
The thickness of the sandwich, along with the crunch of the grilled sourdough is perfect. Additionally the macaroni and cheese give a wonderful texture to the sandwich, also. It isn’t just oozy cheese, it’s oozy cheese with some structure!
I hope you enjoy this as much as we did!
Grilled Macaroni and Cheese Sandwich
- Sourdough bread (2 slices medium thickness)
- Smoked Provolone (thinly sliced)
- Homemade Macaroni and Cheese (recipe follows)
- Unsalted Butter
- Preheat griddle or skillet. Cover one slice of bread with provolone. Cover provolone with macaroni and cheese. Top with 2nd slice of bread. Cover outside of top slice of bread with butter. Gently lay sandwich butter side down on heated griddle or skillet. Butter the top of the bread. When the bottom slice of bread is light brown, carefully flip the sandwich. Grill until lightly browned.
Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 pound uncooked large elbow macaroni
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese (grated)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook macaroni until tender. Drain and set aside. Melt butter over medium heat and whisk in flour to make a roux. Add milk, whisking until smooth. Add cheese and stir until melted. Add Worcestershire sauce and continue to whisk until thickened and smooth. Add alt and pepper to taste.