My heartfelt apologies for being gone for so long, and being so hit and miss. These last few months, after my dad’s stroke, have been so hard. He has been such an integral part of my life and although he isn’t gone, he isn’t here.
I have stepped back from cooking some, choosing to spend more time with my dad in the care facility. I am only cooking about one new thing per week. My most recent choice was something that I found on Pinterest on re-worked just a bit, Roasted Vegetable Mac and Cheese.
It was so incredibly good that it will make its way into my regular rotation of recipes. Here is the link to the original recipe. http://www.thecomfortofcooking.com/2013/02/spicy-roasted-vegetable-macaroni-and-cheese.html
I made a few changes and this is what I ended up with.
This really is an amazing dish. It works great as a meatless main dish or a spectacular side.
I look forward to sharing more recipes and bits, pieces, and scraps of my world with you. Until then, you ‘ort’ to try this.
Mac and Cheese with Roasted Vegetables
- ½ cup broccoli florets (finely chopped)
- ½ cup cauliflower (finely chopped)
- ½ red pepper (diced)
- 10 stalks asparagus (peeled and finely chopped)
- 3 carrots (thinly sliced)
- 1 package pasta (cooked al dente)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 3 T. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 2 cups shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 T. panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Place vegetables on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk, stirring constantly until mixture is slightly thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in cheddar cheese until melted.
- In a casserole dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray add macaroni and vegetables, stir in cheese sauce. Sprinkle with panko. Bake for 15 minutes, until breadcrumbs are brown.