I had some fresh berries in the fridge that I needed to use, so this morning I came up with this awesome Mixed Berry Muffins. No, it isn’t a holiday, but the morning was dark and rainy so I didn’t need to feel bad about staying in. There was nothing to do outside!
These mixed berry muffins are so easy to throw together with just a few ingredients that most people have on hand. Well, maybe not the turbinado sugar, but the other ingredients should be household staples!
These were a big hit with the family, too. I think doubling the chocolate or using chocolate chips would make these even better. The sugar topping gave these a great crunchy top.
Triple Berry Chocolate Chunk Muffins
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup turbinado sugar
- 2 oz. semi sweet baking chocolate chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh strawberries blueberries and raspberries, washed and cut into bite size if needed
- Pearlized sugar for sprinkling
- Turbinado sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease the cups of a muffin pan, or line with paper liners.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and chopped baking chocolate into a large bowl.
- Whisk together the milk, vegetable oil, egg and vanilla.
- Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and mix together until just blended. Gently fold in the fruit, so as not to smash.
- Fill the muffin cups 2/3 of the way full. Lightly sprinkle the tops with the sugars.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.