Chicken Spaghetti – Freezer to Crockpot
Another of the awesome make ahead recipes I made was Chicken Spaghetti – Freezer to Crockpot. I found the recipe on http://crockingirls.com/recipes/chicken-spaghetti/. It was simple and full of flavor. I made a few modifications to fit my cooking style, and my family’s eating style. We all really liked it. It made a bunch, so I would say make it for company, or split into 2 bags so you don’t have so much left over.
I served it with green beans, salad, and Italian bread.
The original recipe called for 2-3 cans of “Cream Of” soup. I do not like using the “Cream Of” soups because of sodium and preservatives (mostly sodium). I found a recipe for a low sodium version of dry powdered substitute that you add your own liquids or flavorings to. Below is the soup mix – made as “Cream of Chicken”. You can switch out the bouillon flavor, the broth flavor, or add other herbs and spices to change the flavor of the ‘soup’.
Blend ingredients. Store in airtight container at room temperature. When ready to use, combine 1/3 cup soup substitute mix with 1¼ cups water or broth to equal 1 can of soup.
I use this soup substitute in all of my recipes that call for “Cream Of” soup. Most of the time The Hubs is none the wiser! Occasionally he asks if I made a recipe “healthy”, although he doesn’t usually know what I’ve done.
Good luck with your own substituting and be ready for more recipes like this Chicken Spaghetti – Freezer to Crockpot. They are definitely headed your way!
Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken (in 1”-2” cubes)
- 1 bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 pounds 2% Velveeta (cubed)
- 1 1/2 cups light sour cream
- 2/3 cup soup substitute mix (recipe follows)
- 1 7- ounce can diced green chilies
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1-2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooked spaghetti
- Label a gallon freezer bag.
- Combine all ingredients, except spaghetti, into bag. Remove as much of the air from the bag as possible. Lay flat and freeze.
- The night before you want to serve it, remove from the freezer and thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
- In the morning place the contents plus ½ cup water into the slow cooker (crockpot). Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Turn to low, or off.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions, then add into crock pot and stir thoroughly.
Healthy Cream Soup Substitute
- 2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup low-sodium instant bouillon granules (chicken, beef, or vegetable (I use HerbOx))
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes or 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Blend ingredients. Store in airtight container at room temperature. When ready to use, combine 1/3 cup soup substitute mix with 1¼ cups water or broth to equal 1 can of soup.