Peanut Butter Donuts
A couple of weeks ago The Hubs mentioned a dish he had seen one of many food shows on as many food and cooking channels. He had seen an episode of favorite foods or odd foods. Being that I wasn’t watching the show I was unsure of what exactly he had discovered. The end result, however, was a restaurant that made peanut butter donuts.
Since then I researched on the internet to find the episode he watched so that I might be able to make a peanut butter donut that would be similar. When I did discover the show and the donuts he was so intrigued with I decided to make something at home. Although the donuts he saw on the show were peanut butter and jelly donuts, I decided I would forego the jelly.
That started me on a multi-day quest to find a peanut butter donut recipe that sounded delicious and not too difficult. I wanted to make a cake donut and not a yeast donut this first go-round. I finally found a recipe to base my initial trial on. The plan was to make them over the weekend, but that didn’t happen. So with today being a holiday and everyone having the day off in my house, I made them for breakfast.
The first clue that my food adventures have proven successful is when it brings children out of bed on a day off from school. Especially when the first words they utter are “why does the house smell like peanut butter cookies?”
Then came the exclamations of delight when the girls tasted them. These donuts were a definite success. As if that wasn’t enough affirmation, Daughter Number Four has asked me to make them again this next weekend for brunch.
The final testimony to the success of the peanut butter donuts was from The Hubs. The girls and I had eaten ours before he had even gotten out of bed. I pointed out the donuts on a plate and told him they were for him. Of course I had already taken one out to deliver to my mother. When I returned from the donut delivery he popped into the room I was in and told me that the donuts were really good.
It always fills me with a bit of pride when the family is so complimentary of what I make for them. I am looking forward to making them again when this weekend rolls around.
Peanut Butter Donuts
- 1/3 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- ½ cup brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon aluminum free baking powder
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a cake donut pan.
- In a large bowl stir together peanut butter and sour cream until creamy. Add in the brown sugar and mix until smooth. Stir in the egg, milk, and vanilla and beat well.
- Sift in flour and baking powder.
- Gently fold into the peanut butter mixture, until just combined. Ensure there is no flour showing, but do not overmix.
- Carefully spoon the batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes, or until donuts spring back when touched.
- Remove from oven onto a cooling rack.
- In a small microwave proof bowl melt butter.
- Put ¼ cup granulated sugar into a shallow dish.
- Invert donut pan onto wire rack, removing donuts from pan.
- Brush the tops of donuts with melted butter then dip buttered tops into sugar.