Caramel Chip Mini Bundt Cakes
You know what they say about not going grocery shopping when you’re hungry? Well I can definitely attest to not going down the baking aisle when you’re craving something sweet. I ended up with a large bag of dark chocolate chips and a bag of what seems to be the newest in candy chip awesomeness, caramel chips. Maybe they have been out for some time, but I haven’t seen them. That is why I ended up making these amazing Caramel Chip Mini Bundt Cakes for myself my family on Saturday.
Honestly the thought of making mini Bundt cakes had popped up when my mother and I had our little outing the previous day. We popped into a little shop with cake baking and decorating goodies, as well as a few kitchen inspired gift ideas. My mother was near overwhelm with the variety of pans and molds, presses and cutters, candy melts and embellishments.
She seemed somewhat alarmed when she would point to a pan or tool and I would say “Oh, I have that”. One such item was a mini Bundt cake pan. There are actually different sizes of mini bundt pans, and I have one that makes cupcake sized Bundts.
Ordinarily I admit that I like big Bundts, but little Bundts can be fun for a change. In fact this recipe is perfectly suited for mini Bundts or cupcakes. I made a simple glaze to drizzle over the tops.
The girls were ecstatic with my creation, partly because they weren’t expecting a sweet treat. Another part of their excitement was that I had made something fun and the caramel chips were definitely a surprise. Being a huge fan of chocolate I tend to make quite a few chocolate treats and desserts. These Caramel Chip Mini Bundt Cakes were different and delightful.
Even The Hubs and my mother enjoyed the variety. This was a true food adventure at every turn and bite; morsels of goodness to be sure.
So what food adventures or unexpected food loves have you stumbled upon recently? I know how a trip to the store can spark some creativity for a wonderful food find.
Caramel Chip Mini Bundt Cakes
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
- ½ cup light brown sugar (firmly packed)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 cup caramel chips
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon caramel chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease mini bundt cake pan with nonstick cooking spray (my pan makes 12 muffin sized mini bundts)
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl beat softened butter with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Add sugars and beat until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Add vanilla and beat to combine.
- Add 1/3 flour mixture and ½ of sour cream. Beat on low to blend. Add another 1/3 flour mixture and remaining sour cream. Beat until moistened.
- Add remaining flour mixture and milk. Beat on low until all flour is mixed in. Do not over mix.
- Fold in caramel chips.
- Spoon batter into prepared bundt pan. Do not overfill.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire cooling rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pans to cool completely.
- In a small microwave safe bowl melt butter. Whisk in chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon caramel chips until smooth. Drizzle over cooled cakes, or gently dip tops of cakes into glaze.