While I have been making homemade macaroni and cheese for most of my life, and I have posted multiple macaroni and cheese recipes previously, it wasn’t until I had my electric pressure cooker that I found the best macaroni and cheese recipe ever.
To me macaroni and cheese is the ultimate comfort food, right up there with mashed potatoes. It reminds me of my childhood plus it incorporates the carby goodness of pasta with cheese. I love cheese.
Most of my life I made what I consider a traditional homemade macaroni and cheese using a white sauce based cheese sauce to pour over my cooked noodles. This new macaroni and cheese recipe doesn’t have the white sauce. It uses evaporated milk, sometimes called canned milk, thickened with corn starch.
The recipe itself calls for cheddar cheese, parmesan, and cream cheese. For the love of cheese! I sometimes reduce the amount of cheddar and add smoked cheddar, smoked Gouda, or even smoked Swiss. Of course Swiss is a bit stringier, so be careful not to add too much of a good thing.
I am touting this as the Best Macaroni and Cheese Recipe not just because I love it so much, but also because my family loves it. The Hubs tells me that it is the epitome of what macaroni and cheese is. All of my daughters love it, including Daughter Number Four, who while she has always loved the mac and cheese out the box, has never been a fan of homemade macaroni and cheese.
Additionally, my brother who is a fabulous cook recently told me that he has started using a recipe for mac and cheese that uses evaporated milk and cornstarch instead of a white sauce. We can’t both be wrong. Seriously.
If you do not own an electric pressure cooker this can be made the more old-fashioned way as well. However, I do not know why anyone would not want to own an electric pressure cooker. Mine has changed the course of my world. It makes everything so much easier and faster and not just delicious macaroni and cheese. From dried beans to flan and so much more it has changed how I cook.
Share with me if you have an electric pressure cooker and what you love about it. I’m curious to find out if you have a favorite electric pressure cooker recipe, or a recipe that you used to make the long way but now make in your pressure cooker.
Macaroni and Cheese
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups dry large elbow macaroni
- 1 14.5–oz can evaporated milk
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
- Spray the inside of your pressure cook pot with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the water and macaroni in a pressure cooker. Lock the lid into place and pressure cook on manual high for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and wait 5 minutes before Quick Releasing the pressure.
- While the macaroni is cooking, combine the evaporated milk, cornstarch, salt, pepper, onion powder, and mustard in a small bowl.
- Remove the lid cautiously and gently stir the macaroni to separate it.
- Add the evaporated milk mixture, cheeses and butter to the cooked macaroni. Set the pressure cooker to the warm setting and lightly stir until the sauce thickens and the cheese
Note: Remove immediately from pot to prevent sticking or burning.