Although I had the menu planned out for Easter I was not sure what I was going to make for dessert. While having a phone conversation with Daughter Number One she suggested that I make a Checkerboard Cake. I used to make those regularly when she was little. The directions I have call for 2 boxed cake mixes. I opted to make a simple white cake recipe instead.
You may be wondering why I was making the cake that D1 recommended when she wasn’t going to be with us. There are many reasons, one of which was because she asked. Another reason was to try out the simple white cake recipe. Additionally I have not made this as frequently for Daughters Three and Four. I thought they would enjoy the checkerboard cake.
I am pleased that I made the checkerboard cake. It was a beautiful addition to our Easter meal. The simple white cake recipe was indeed simple. It was also very tasty. We all enjoyed this cake very much. My traditional white cake recipe is lighter in texture, but it also takes more time. Also I don’t think it would have worked in the checkerboard cake very well.
The Hubs picked out the colors for the checkerboard cake and Daughter Number Three chose the color for the frosting. I added some sugar sprinkles on the top for a little extra pop. The colors were the epitome of springtime. The simple white cake recipe with its heavy vanilla flavor, topped with light cream cheese frosting, was great for spring.
I have already been requested to make this cake again. The girls thought it was fun and they loved the way it tasted.
If you are looking for a simple white cake recipe definitely go with this one. If you want to make this cake more special I recommend buying a checkerboard cake pan insert. It is great for holidays and special occasions.
Do you have a favorite special occasion dessert? Does it require any special equipment to make? I would love to know!
Simple White Cake Recipe
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 4 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk (extra if needed to make smooth)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 – 9” round cake pans. See notes.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Finally stir in the milk until batter is smooth. Pour or spoon batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven. Cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Note 1: This recipe makes 2-9” round cakes. Halve the recipe for 1 9 X 9 square cake.
Note 2: To make checkerboard cake make the full recipe. You will need it somewhat thin. Use a checkerboard cake insert. You will need 3 – 9” round cake pans. For 2 color cake you will need 2 colors of food coloring. It will require approximately 4 cups of prepared frosting.