The month of April is a very exciting month for food themed days. This week we have Grilled Cheese Sandwich day, which is one of my favorite. The following week we have Cheese Ball Day and Animal Cracker Day back to back on the 17th and 18th. My mother and I combined the two for a sweet treat this past week and served a Cookie Dough Cheese Ball with Animal Crackers.
My mother discovered a savory cheese ball recipe decades ago. She makes it for nearly every family dinner and oftentimes when she is asked to bring a snack.
You can find the recipe here: https://wordpress.com/post/ortsofsorts.com/647
She told me a couple of weeks back that she was in charge of snacks at her sorority meeting this past week. Being a former Activity Director at Long Term Care facilities she has a knack for using food theme days. Because of the upcoming cheese ball day, she was going to take her standard. She had decided she was going to take some Animal Crackers, too, just for fun.
My oldest daughter had told me about a Cookie Dough cheese ball she makes for parties that is sweet. She uses animal crackers and graham crackers to serve it with. I got ahold of her and got the recipe.
When mom served the sweet dip it got mostly favorable comments. Some of the women thought it was too sweet. I love sweet things and have to admit it was very sweet.
Mom invited my two youngest down to try it over the weekend. It was still, sweet. Daughter Number Three doesn’t like overly sweet things quite as much, so she was not a huge fan. Daughter Number Four did seem to like it. Both mom and I ate a bit more of the Cookie Dough Cheese Ball, for good measure.
I can think of several things I would do differently if I were to make it again. First, I would add a bit less powdered sugar. Second I would roll it entirely in the mini chips. I would also have an alternate dipper that is less sweet than animal crackers; possibly pretzels or graham crackers.
In all it was a successful cheese ball. While the savory one my mom traditionally makes is my all-time favorite I am glad to have the Cookie Dough Cheese Ball recipe, too.
Let me know if you have a favorite cheese ball recipe! Is it sweet or savory?
Cookie Dough Cheese Ball
- 1 – 8 ounce package cream cheese softened
- 1 stick 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet miniature chocolate chips plus extra for rolling
- Animal Crackers for serving
- Cream together butter and cream cheese until fluffy.
- Add in sugars and vanilla and mix until completely combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Using nonstick spray, lightly coat your hands and plastic wrap. Form the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for several hours until firm.
- Remove from refrigerator and roll in additional chocolate chips.
- Serve with animal crackers.