Although I usually have meals planned and, at least mostly, prepped yesterday did not work that way. My day ended a little later than I had anticipated, so I had no earthly idea what I was going to make for dinner. In addition, I had to hit the grocery store at one of the busiest times. I called The Hubs for inspiration. There was none. He asked Daughter Number Three what she was hungry for; Chinese Food. I would make Pressure Cooker Orange Chicken.
Of course I know this was not exactly what D3 had meant. However, I had already driven to the store and the Chinese restaurant I like for takeout is clear across town. Not to mention the cost and health aspect of takeout.
I picked up the ingredients that I did not already have at home for Pressure Cooker Orange Chicken. As a special treat I decided I would make Crab Rangoon also.
Once I was in the kitchen the entire meal took about 30 minutes to prepare. I did have a small bit of help from Daughter Number Four, but very little. She stirred the filling for the Crab Rangoon. The family was blown away that I had everything ready to eat in such a short period of time. The Pressure Cooker Orange Chicken is ready in the same time as it takes to make white rice on the stovetop. So does the Crab Rangoon.
This dish is very easy and quick to make. The whole family enjoys it every time I make it. I’m not sure why I don’t serve this more often. I asked D3 if she was still disappointed about not having takeout. She assured me that this meal was a close second. It filled the need. I’m sure the Crab Rangoon was a big part of that, too.
Again, this dish is one of the reasons I absolutely love my electric pressure cooker. There is no way I would have had Orange Chicken done in the same time without it.
Do you have a takeout favorite that you make at home? What about a go to when you don’t know what to make? I would love to know!
Pressure Cooker Electric Chicken
- Nonstick cooking spray or cooking oil
- 2 pounds chicken breast (1” cubes)
- ½ cup Barbecue Sauce
- ¼ cup Soy Sauce
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 8 ounces Orange Marmalade
- 1 Tablespoon Corn Starch
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion (optional garnish)
- Red pepper flakes (optional garnish)
- Sesame Seeds (optional garnish)
- Dice Chicken breast into approximately 1” cubes. Spray the inside of the electric pressure cooker with nonstick cooking spray, or lightly oil.
- Place the chicken in the pressure cooker. Add the barbecue sauce, soy sauce, and garlic powder. Place the lid on the pressure cooker, with valve closed. Cook on ‘meat’ or ‘chicken’ for 15 minutes. Release pressure using quick release.
- Remove the lid from the pressure cooker. Remove about ¼- ½ cup of the juice from the pressure cooker. Whisk in corn starch and return the mixture to the pressure cooker. Add the Orange Marmalade and combine gently.
- Replace the lid on the pressure cooker and turn on ‘brown’ or ‘sauté’. If your pressure cooker does not have one of these settings use a high setting and cook for about 2 minutes. Quick release the pressure.
- Serve immediately over rice or noodles. Garnish with green onion, red pepper flakes, or sesame seeds if desired.