Have I mentioned how much I love all of the honored foods this month? The flowers are in bloom, birds are singing, and yesterday was National Chocolate Chip Day! While most posts I saw paying homage to these delicious morsels put them in cookie form I did not. I made Easy Chocolate Chip Muffins.
Muffins are one of my favorite foods to make. In my opinion muffins are the original fast food. They are a small size quick bread, so they don’t take long to make. The prep time is a matter of minutes and they take less than 30 minutes to bake.
Beyond the time aspect is how versatile muffins are. A standard muffin batter can be turned into something wondrous. The add-ins and upgrades are endless. You can add cocoa powder to the batter to make chocolate muffins. You can add baking chips, nuts, or fruits to flavor them. Toppings can be added to provide more flavor and texture. Muffin batter is a virtual blank canvas.
I chose easy Chocolate Chip Muffins in honor of National Chocolate Chip Day so the girls could have them for breakfast. Muffins are a great breakfast or brunch food. They are small and portable so they travel well. Also, they are not completely void of nutritional value. I would say they are no worse than breakfast cereal.
My girls were thrilled to have fresh out of the oven easy Chocolate Chip Muffins for breakfast. I offered to package them to take. D4 started eating one immediately. Then she asked how many she could have. Two. These were standard size muffins, not mini muffins. Two seemed like plenty. D3 did want hers to go. She also asked how many she could have. The same answer; two.
I told the girls I was going to drop one off at their grandmother’s house. My usually generous daughters who love their grandmother very much questioned if that was necessary. Apparently they are suddenly concerned about her health. These might have too much sugar in them, or saturated fat. I assured them that she didn’t have any concerns with those.
After taking one to deliver to my mother I wrapped up the rest for later. Oh, after I had one for breakfast. Nothing with chocolate lasts long in my house. Easy Chocolate Chip Muffins are definitely on the list of quickly eaten items.
Did you celebrate National Chocolate Chip Day? What did you make or eat? Also, what is the most exciting Chocolate Chip thing you heard about? For me, it was a local brewery who tapped a Chocolate Chip Beer yesterday! I hope I can get over to try it before it’s all tapped out!
May really is one of the best month’s for food!
Easy Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Colored sugar (for decoration)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease the cups of a twelve muffin pan, or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add chocolate chips and stir to coat.
- In a small bowl whisk together milk, egg, oil, and vanilla.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients.
- Stir gently to blend. Do not overmix. Batter will not be smooth.
- Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full. Sprinkle colored sugar on top, if desired.
- Gently tap filled muffin pan on counter top to remove any air bubbles.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean of batter.
- Remove pans to cool on a wire rack. After 5 minute remove from pan and continue cooling on rack.