Sometimes the strangest conversations turn into the most amazing meals. When the Kansas weather hits close to triple digits it makes cooking less exciting. I had some chicken breasts to use for dinner so I asked The Hubs if he would mind grilling. Out of the blue he asked if we had the ingredients for Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce.
I did a quick search and told him that we did have the ingredients for Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce. After trying to wrap my head around his odd request I asked him two questions: was he serious, and where did he come up with Chicken Satay.
The Hubs informed me that he was in fact serious. Apparently to give him some sort of break from his very creative job he plays this cooking game app. On the app he had learned about Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce.
I sliced the chicken and made the marinade then set it aside to soak up the flavor. Next I put together the peanut sauce for the Chicken Satay.
Outside of the time for marinating it was a quick dish. Because of the time to marinate I was able to make three amazing side dishes to compliment the Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce; coconut rice, pan roasted chickpeas, and garlic spinach.
As with many of my more adventurous meals I was a bit anxious to see how everyone liked the meal. While Daughter Number Four was not overly fond of the chicken itself she liked everything else. D3 liked everything except the spinach. The Hubs was thrilled that he had suggested Chicken Satay and Peanut Sauce. Honestly, so was I.
What’s the strangest reason that you have ever made a dish? I still think it is funny that his suggestion came about because of a game app on his phone.
Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated or brown sugar
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless (skinless chicken breast sliced into thin strips)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ – 1 cup water (to thin sauce)
- In a food processor combine coconut milk, fish sauce, curry powder, sugar, cilantro, salt and pepper.
- Place chicken in a large glass or metal bowl or in a large plastic bag.
- Pour marinade over chicken. Cover bowl or seal bag.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours, turning chicken occasionally.
- Preheat grill.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator.
- Thread each piece of chicken onto a skewer. If using bamboo skewers soak in water for 30 minutes prior to use.
- Grill for 5-7 minutes, turning once. Use a meat thermometer if necessary to ensure chicken is done through.
- In clean food processor combine soy sauce, vinegar, Sriracha, sugar, ginger, oil, and peanut butter; pulse to combine.
- With motor running add water, small amounts at a time, to thin sauce. Continue until the sauce is the desired consistency.
- Serve sauce over grilled chicken.