The end of September is always so exciting for me. It just so happens that I had my first daughter on my parents wedding anniversary and the next day is my birthday! This year D1 was coming home to spend a few days around and encompassing our birthday/anniversary days. When I found out she was coming home I asked her what she wanted for dinner. Of course she wanted Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo, Caesar salad, and Angel Food Cake.
That has been her go-to birthday dinner for almost as long as she has been able to voice what she wanted for her birthday dinner.
Because D1 hasn’t lived at home for almost a decade I haven’t made Fettuccine Alfredo as often as when she did live at home.
The salad and loaf of store-bought bread would be fine. So would the cake. Angel Food cake is one of the rare things that I do not make from scratch. Boxed Angel Food cake is so easy and turns out so light and fluffy!
I had asked The Hubs if he would grill the chicken breasts that I had butterflied and marinated and he agreed.
Really that just left me to boil a pot of water and cook pasta and make the Alfredo sauce. What an easy birthday dinner.
I whipped up the Fettuccine Alfredo sauce while my girls talked with my mom, who joined us for dinner.
It was all delicious and everyone enjoyed it. Even with grilled chicken breasts and salad, this is the furthest thing from a light dinner. No one was the slightest bit underfed.
I had made way too much Alfredo sauce. Not that I’m complaining. It’s wonderful warmed up and also makes a great sauce to bake mushrooms in or use on homemade pizza!
What is your favorite birthday dinner? Have you had the opportunity to eat your go-to childhood favorite recently?
Fettuccine Alfredo is definitely not a dish I want to eat every week, but it’s easy enough to make that I could!
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 ½ cups Parmesan cheese (grated (real Parmesan, not canned))
- ½ cup Pecorino (Parmigiano Reggiano, or Asiago cheese)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 pound Fettuccine noodles (cooked according to package directions)
- Melt butter in a heavy bottomed 2 quart saucepan over medium low heat.
- Add cream and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cheese, whisking to combine. Add salt and pepper and continue to whisk until sauce has thickened and is hot. Remove from stovetop and stir in parsley.
- Serve over cooked Fettuccine noodles.