If you haven’t decided what to make for your Sunday brunch I have a great recipe for you! I made these last Sunday and my kids and mom are still talking about them! They loved these mini Crumb Cakes!
If you have never had crumb cake let me explain. It’s a moist muffin-like cake with a crumbly topping. The topping is what takes it, quite literally, over the top!
When the girls and The Hubs saw that I was making what appeared to be muffins or mini loafs for brunch they were seemingly underwhelmed. Once they tasted these mini Crumb Cakes with their buttery, soft inside and the cinnamon-y crumb topping they changed their tunes. The only downside to them was that I didn’t make more.
A few years ago The Hubs got me a mini loaf pan. They are great to make muffins and other quick breads. So, for an occasion that I want something a little fancier than just a muffin, or to give as little gifts I break out my mini loaf pan.
Using the mini loaf pan you end up with fewer total than a traditional muffin recipe.
Mini Crumb Cakes are perfect for any breakfast or brunch. Whether you are serving Sunday brunch to your family at home or hosting a Brunch shower these are a perfect addition. They also make great snacks for the kids.
This is also the perfect time of year for baking, so another great reason to whip these mini Crumb Cakes up. Your family will thank you.
Mini Crumb Cakes (or Crumb Cake muffins)
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup light brown sugar (packed)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease your mini loaf pan wells with butter, oil, or nonstick spray.
- In a medium bowl combine granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Stir in melted butter. Add flour and stir until moistened. Set aside.
Prepare cake batter:
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a small bowl whisk together milk, oil, and eggs until thoroughly combined.
- Pour milk mixture over dry ingredients and stir together just until moist. Do not overmix.
- Scoop the batter into your greased mini loaf pan wells. Sprinkle with reserved crumb topping. Press crumb topping gently into batter. Do not submerge topping.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes, checking after 15 minutes. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven to a wire rack. Run a rubber spatula around the edges of the cakes to loosen from the pan. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before serving. May be served warm or at room temperature.
To make as muffins grease a standard 12 muffin pan or use paper liners.